Modest Chic with Modern Flair
See “For the Strength of Youth” for dress and appearance guidelines set by the Church
Problem: Modest fashion is difficult to find today! Many of the “trendy” styles are strapless, sleeveless, and short! How can I be fashionable while respecting my body with modesty?
Solution 1: Layering
The extender tanks (an undershirt)
· Longer lengths to prevent “the plumber’s problem”
· Higher necklines to cover cleavage
· Some have wider straps for too-wide necklines
Cap sleeve Ts
· Wear under sheer shirts or tank tops
· Also have longer lengths and higher necklines
· Fashionable way to add sleeves
· Various sleeve lengths for various seasons
· Peek-a-boo trim that is meant to be seen to lengthen skirts/dresses
Solution 2: Modify / Make Modest Clothing
· Sew slits together if possible
· Sew a pretty piece of fabric or layered lace into the slit
· If it’s a V-neck or wrap top, sew the V together a bit higher
· Sew in a pretty piece of fabric or layered lace
· Take out the hemline
· Add ruffles, fabric, or layered crinoline to the hemline
Solution 3: Shop Modest Clothing from Modern Retailers
Bermuda shorts, board shorts, capris, shrugs, tankinis, and layers are all in style right now! Such modest items can be found at various shops like Wal Mart, Old Navy, JC Penney, American Eagle, etc. However, when you are looking for something specific, you can't go wrong by shopping at retailers that sell only modest clothing. Below is a comprehensive list of such retailers for your browsing pleasure!
A Bit of Everything
Modestly designed dresses, skirts, shorts, swimwear, tops, and undershirts with higher necklines and longer lengths!
Modest Wedding and Formal Gowns
Peek-a-Boo Extender Slips
http://www.davidsbridal.com (type style # 83000 into search box for slips, or "coverage options" to see their great selection of formal wear shrugs!)
Check out this video below to see how modern LDS girls are being chic and modest for prom!